Thursday, April 12, 2012

Why????

This is a Doodle.  A BERNER Doodle.  For those unaware of such a rare breed, it's a cross between a Standard Poodle, and a Bernese Mountain Dog.   This guy is only 7 months old, and was extremely sweet.  I shudder to think of what they had to pay for this dog.  If you can pay $800 to $1500 for a LABradoodle..and Labradors are a dime a dozen, what possibly must a pup out of a relatively rarer breed cost?  P.S. The receptionist had to call me and have me personally give a quote.. as for some reason, this breed isn't on our pricelist!

Ok, I forgot to take a side view before I started clipping, but this is a pretty good "before".  My only instructions????? DON'T make him look like a Poodle.  The last place that groomed him, shaved him down like a Poodle.  Really?  The only other piece of information I was given was, "I like him scruffy".    As you can see, the coloring of a Bernese Mountain Dog didn't come through on this dog.  His "tan" markings are very faint.  I guess a really brilliant black, tan and white would've been kind of cool, but to me he looks like any other Doodle. 


I sure hope he doesn't look like a Poodle.. Maybe a huge Bichon??  Probably not scruffy enough.  I left before he went home, I will have to wait til tomorrow to find out how the go home went.  Bernerdoodle or not, he was a very good boy, so I hope he keeps coming back.  For the record, J is convinced he is just a Goldendoodle that came out with strange coloring, and they chose to call him a Bernerdoodle so they could get more money.  Who knows..maybe he is a Rottidoodle, or a Gordondoodle, maybe even a Dobedoodle??

I think once (I'm totally kidding here) AKC allows Doodles to be registered, they will have to have their own group.  I mean, would the Goldendoodles be in the Sporting, or Non-sporting group?? There are just too many, they can have their own group.   There will be Staffydoodles, and Mastiffdoodles, Afghandoodles and Komondoodles. 

Last minute edit:  I forgot.. problems I found with this new breed.  He sheds!  What the heck?? Oh, wait, Berners shed.. Yep, my comb found lots of undercoat.  Also, he has tons of ear hair... from his Poodle parent, obviously.  Too bad they haven't found a way to weed out these traits.  ;) I guess it's back to the genetic roulette wheel!

9 comments:

  1. Could he be a labradoodle with a black lab in the mix? Either way...NOT my cup of tea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He really is supposed to be a Bernerdoodle.. who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree that he looks like every other doodle. He looks like he's got Bernese skull, nose anyway. Do you remember how I used to call that one Labradoodle a Miniature Irish Wolfhound. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernese skull or at least nose :-) The thing about labradoodles is some look like Miniature Irish Wolfhounds. Which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, he looks like every other doodle I run into.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Megadeath! :) You are correct.. he does have a very large head.. and is heavier boned than some. The wiry (the ones that look like a wolfhound) Labradoodles are great for people who don't need the coat care, but they are also the ones that shed. I believe this is why they started crossing to Goldens instead of Labs.. you see more with thicker, curly hair, which is what most people seem to want. I'm always relieved when people bring me the wiry ones.. due to the fact the "breeders" all tell people they don't need grooming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. UUUgh Why? Why? Why? I'm sure he's loved like crazy, but really-why??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome BeardieGirl!
    Mrs. P: I agree.. WHY!??

    ReplyDelete
  9. People are paying up to $4500 for this mixed breed dog. Why? Because the breeder has an amazing marketing strategy. People are idiots. This is a mutt. $4500 for a mutt. A fool an his money. And guess what? They are starting to show up in shelters. No surprise!

    ReplyDelete