Sunday, December 4, 2011

Spellcheck, please.

I'll admit it, I have a bit of an obsession, quite possibly an unhealthy one, with correct spelling.  Maybe it's the fact that I have lived for my whole life with a name spelled in an uncommon way.   My Father convinced my Mother that it was the correct spelling.  Considering I was born before such great inventions as the epidural, perhaps she was just too exhausted to fight it.  So, I spent my entire life correcting people. 

People like to spell their pet's names in odd ways.  Sometimes, they think it's the "cool" or maybe just unusual way to spell it.  Kind of like the girl I went to highschool with, whose name was Julie, she signed all her papers "Jewel Lee".  That's cool, right?  Some of the time, though, I do believe they just don't know how to spell the chosen name.  I could be wrong, though.  Maybe I'm just overly sensitive about it.  The dogs certainly don't care. As long as I can correctly pronounce the dog's name, I have nothing to complain about.  Yet, I feel the need to tell you all about it.

The dog's name that spurred this blog post , was pronounced "Logan", but in truth it was spelled "Low Gun"  I'm not kidding.  Does this have some hidden meaning?  Anyone??  It is a hunting breed...  but still, what would make you spell it that way?  We also have one that the owners' call "Tootie".. but they spelled it "2D".   It makes that dog pretty unusual, as we probably don't have any other pets with a number in the spelling of their name.  Then there is Cuyan, which is how they spell "Cayenne"  We actually have the correct spelling in parenthesis so we don't inadvertently call the dog "Cooyan" by mistake.  It's just uncomfortable to have to say "how do you pronounce his name?" when we 1st meet.  That is what I do, though, rather than butcher it. 

That is my rant of the week.  Now I better press that spell-check button.  It would be highly embarrassing if I had any typos in this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment