Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Spring weather, and Shih Tzus.

I think I've mentioned before, I live in a northern climate.  We have very long, very cold, snowy winters, most years.   This one has been colder and snowier than we've had in quite a few years.  Just last week at this time, it was -26F when I left for work.  This week we have had a welcome change.  This morning when I left for work, it was 32F, it may as well have been 50 out, it felt like spring, what a relief. 

During these cold months, with the exception of the week of Christmas, we have a substantial drop in grooming appointments.  This means I have a substantial drop in pay.  Not fun.  People don't want to get their dog groomed when it's cold, as they think they will freeze.  Of course they still bathe them, and if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you KNOW they don't brush them.  The result is a hairy mess of matted dog.  I knew the tide would turn as soon as we got some warm weather, and I was rewarded this week.  No one likes a wet, hairy dog.  All the melting of snow that is going on in this lovely weather leaves us with sloppy, muddy puddles everywhere.  The phones starting ringing as soon as we opened on Monday morning.   The owners of each dog that comes in says essentially the same thing:  Sorry he's such a mess, we just didn't want to cut his hair while it was so cold. 

I welcome this rush of work to do. So...I don't remind them that it's only the 15th of February...we have at least 6 weeks (if you believe that Groundhog) left of winter.  This time will be no doubt laced with snow storms, ice storms and below zero temps.  It's all good.  No one will freeze to death, get frostbite, or hypothermia, I promise.  I'm glad my clients are living for the moment, it will make the actual spring a bit less hectic.

OH yeah...Shih Tzus...I need to touch on that subject.  The MOST popular dog we groom is the Shih Tzu...by far.  I don't mind Shih Tzus, for the most part they are nice dogs.  However, today, 7 out of the 9 dogs I groomed were Shih Tzus.  My co-worker did 4 today...11 Shih Tzus in one day..that is crazy!  I like a little variety...it just makes the day go faster.  Not to mention the fact that our personal saying for the breed is: They don't call them Sh*t Zus for nothing.  Yep, you guessed it, I cleaned up after alot of dogs today.   I'm hoping tomorrow I only have 2 or 3...that would really be nice, but beggars can't be choosers.  It's great to have a busy schedule again, I'm loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment