Monday, November 22, 2010

The Calm Before the Storm

Today is the Monday before Thanksgiving.  In a prior post, I explained to you that many of my clients are unware that a holiday is approaching fast.   Today my grooming schedule was fairly light, certainly not too strenuous. 

Tomorrow the phones will start ringing at 8:05 AM.  By 9:37 AM the few appointments I have available, as well as those for my co-worker will be full (and there aren't very many left).  By Noon the whiners will start calling.   "But Thursday is Thanksgiving" (Really?)  "We've got a house full of company coming."  "The dog is really shaggy"  (perhaps because he hasn't been groomed since July??)  Our receptionists are saints for patiently fielding these endless calls.   The calls will continue until Noon on Wednesday, when they will have finally given up the chance of getting into ANYWHERE to get their dog groomed. 

Now, I, like most professional groomers, work on commission.  That's it.  No hourly wage at all.  So, obviously the more dogs I groom, the more money I make.  It's this time of year that I wish I had a few more hours in the day (or at least a few more days before Thanksgiving) and a couple of extra hands.  I'll cram appointments in the best I can, but I can only do so much in a 9 hour day. 

I guess the point of this post is that I will be too exhausted to blog for a few days...so, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  By the way:  I'm thankful for my wonderful job, where there is never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment