Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Did his owner ask for that???

I am going to try to educate, as well as entertain on this blog.  Sorry...I just feel I must clear up some misconceptions about what I do for a living. 

Case in point..Mr. Mohawk.  We get requests for mohawks frequently (even on cats!).   People have  a vision of what haircut their pet would look good in.  We try to advise them when certain things will look ridiculous, but the bottom line is, it's their dog.  Not mine.  As long as they are paying me, and what they are asking for will not be painful or uncomfortable for the dog, I really have to oblige them, to the best of my ability.

John Q. Public thinks I obviously don't know what a certain breed should look like, when they see some of my grooming clients on the street.  When in fact, I actually do.  I went to a grooming school, where all we learned, is breed standard haircuts, and a few "pet" trims.  I also have shown dogs for many years, and try to keep up with the changing styles in the breed rings.  It wasn't until I got a job in the "real world" that I realized the public just doesn't care what their dog is supposed to look like. 

People insist I shave dogs that should not really be shaved, and want me to leave dogs long and natural that would be adorable in a haircut.  The most common plea I get?  "Don't make him look like a Poodle".  Now, this isn't just for actual Poodles, I hear it for nearly all breeds (Shelties, Schnauzers, Pomeranians) and mix breeds, when in fact there would be no way I could possibly make their dog look like a Poodle.  The worst part is, 99% of them don't have a clue what a Poodle should look like (and I'm not referring to the "show cut" either)

The flip side is the times I can't give people what they want.  I actually can't make your dog look just like the multi-Best in Show dog that you saw on Westminster last night..it's just not going to happen.  Also, if your Shih Tzu hasn't been groomed in 9 months and hasn't seen a brush since I used one on it, I can't won't leave it long.  I am not in the business of causing pain to animals.  I will shave your dog, or you can leave.  Those are your choices.  I have no magical tools.  I have a brush and a comb, just like you do.

So, next time you see a "crazy" haircut going down the street, try not to judge the groomer..it might not be their fault.  Oh, and in case you were wondering..I've never suggested anyone's dog would look great in a mohawk! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment